Recipe type: Main
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Kangkong Belacan is a typical Malay vegetable dish of stir-fried water spinach with shrimp paste.
- 500 grams kangkong (water convolvulus or water spinach)
- 50 grams belacan
- 5 bulbs shallots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 red chilies, chopped
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat and saute garlic, shallots, chilies, and tomatoes.
- Add belacan and cook until dissolved and blended well.
- Add kangkong and stir briskly for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat immediately and serve with steamed rice.
The above recipe is for the 'dry' version shown in the photo above. Should you prefer an output with a bit of sauce (second photo below), immediately add a ladle of water after adding the belacan. This would also help dissolve the belacan faster.
Recipe by LAFANG at http://lafang.mikemina.com/2009/09/06/kangkong-belacan/